Some feedback from both former & current students:
• Brooks - “I studied with Catherine Rimer while studying abroad in London with my university (Ithaca College at the London Center on the Exchange Program) and her insight into the Classical and Baroque styles has been invaluable to my understanding of the periods, but her versatility as a musician is also a true inspiration. Along with studying these earlier styles, I worked on Romantic and 20th-century music with her, to which she also brought useful and inspiring instruction. Her knowledge and intuitive sense of style, along with a vast array of extremely useful practice techniques have definitely helped me evolve not just as a cellist but as a musician overall.”
• Barbara - “I have been privileged to witness the incredibly strong bond between my youngest son Matteo and Cathy, his much loved and respected cello teacher. Not only did she introduce him to the world of classical music with sensitivity, depth and scholarship, she also developed in him what will no doubt be a lifelong passion, along with the confidence to express himself musically, and the rigour to aim for the best. I am hugely grateful to her for being the best of teachers, and such a a wonderful musician.”
• Daisy - “I first went to play to Cathy when I was in my late 20s, several years after I had finished formal study and having performed professionally for quite a few years. I initially went to her for lessons on Baroque cello, but later went back for modern cello lessons because I found her lessons so helpful. Cathy is a wonderful teacher. I left every lesson feeling excited about music and the cello, inspired to practise and aware of how much I had yet to learn. She is positive yet particular; concise in her explanations yet with a broad outlook that includes performance practice scholarship, philosophy and musicology. While possessing an alarmingly keen insight, she is friendly and informal, creating an atmosphere where experimentation feels easy and right. She is also both conscientious and thoughtful. Everything she says has a brevity and simplicity, yet also a depth that keeps you thinking about it for a long time afterwards. Despite having not played to her for a number of years, I remember (and quote in my own teaching) many of the points she made to me. Whoever learns with her is lucky to have her as a teacher.”
• Samuel - "Cathy was hands-down the best music teacher I've ever had! Her expertise on the cello and her ability to teach that skill in creative and entertaining ways is unrivaled (her great sense of British humor always made lessons light-hearted and a blast!). If you are a prospective student of hers, feel free to call my American cell at 609-651-7617 to hear me rave about her as a teacher and as a person!"
• Karen - "Catherine is a brilliant, inspiring teacher and very fine musician. She is very encouraging, kind and patient. She is also completely practical and can show me exactly how to practise to achieve the musical effect I want. My playing has improved and become freer with her help and guidance.She always has lots of interesting information to pass on about the composer or form of the music. She makes our lessons fun and interesting. I could not recommend her more highly".
• Candace - "Inspirational"
• Lilia - "Catherine is an amazing teacher. I had a history of switching cello teachers every few months or so until I came across Catherine, who ended up teaching me for seven years! She took me through from a confused beginner to a Grade 8 distinction cello player, and everything I know about cello now comes from her. I'd definitely recommend any person looking to learn cello to go to her."
• Katie - "I certainly have very happy memories of my lessons … a wonderful chance to reconnect with the instrument that I love so much and to build up my confidence after a long period of occasional playing. Cathy Rimer is an incredibly talented teacher who as well as being amazingly gifted is able to connect to her students and get the most out of them. She has amazing technical ability and an in depth knowledge of the composers and music which is all encapsulated in the lessons. I could not possibly give a higher recommendation for a cello teacher".
• Annie - "The inspiration and training I got from Cathy constantly informs my playing & teaching. Working with her took my musicianship to a higher level, through understanding what was going on in the harmonic structure of the pieces I was working on. She helped me to identify not just the "what" I needed to improve but the "how" of the mechanics - and equally as importantly, the psychology and musical intention required to achieve better technique and greater confidence. It was a revelation to discover how to actually practise effectively - nobody had taught me that before! It's so much more than repetition. Cathy's enthusiasm, expertise, and encouragement inspired me to spend more time exploring my musical potential. And I'll never forget her texting me when I was at music camp, with the fingerings for the high bits in Debussy's La Mer! Legendary!”